Friday, March 19, 2010

Uneventfull Eye Doctor Visit

So today I had my much anticipated eye doctor appointment, but other than being told that I had 20/40 vision in my right eye (poor eye sight), we did not get any real answers to the problems that are keeping me from doing a lot of things, most notably working.

For those who don't know or know little about my vision problems, they started a couple of months ago when I was hospitalized for 3 days with really low blood levels. The timing may be a coincidence or not, we don't know. Basically though, the best analogy I can use of whats happening is you know that feeling you get when you accidentally look at the sun and how it feels when you look back away? It's like that but just randomly happens without having looked at any bright lights. I also have been having a lot of trouble just adjusting to different light levels, especially inside artificial light. The other issue is just having trouble reading and writing. I can barely see to even sign my name to endorse a check. Makes it sort of hard to work, especially as most of my job involves writing down numbers, drawing sketches and reading small print blueprints.

Anyway, back to the eye appointment results, the doctors only real results were that he saw some swelling or evidence of pressure against the optic nerve. I think he also said there was some evidence of optic nerve damage but I am not sure if thats exactly what he said. Basically, until he speaks with my oncologist who is familiar with my head tumor positions and is able to review my most recent head MRI, there is nothing he can really diagnose.

Personally from hearing him talk the little bit he was able to explain, I am guessing that it is possible that one of my tumors has either damaged the optic nerve previously, or one of the tumors is currently pushing against the optic nerve, causing the pressure. We just won't know much until he gets to review the MRI.

All in all, a disappointing visit. No real results, with the only probable results not being the best of scenarios. I guess I am just a bit frustrated to not know when or if this problem is going to get resolved. I really want to get back to work and be effective but as it is now its going to be really hard. I actually went to work twice this week for a few hours each day for the first time in 3 months. I basically wanted to check and see what I was capable of and the results weren't all that good. I was able to see better in general than I had anticipated, but it seemed like I was only able to do things at about half speed and the fatigue in my eyes hit fast.

So, I guess for now all I can do is keep the positive thoughts going and hope that when and if the eye doctor reviews the MRI that some good news comes our way. The problem is my next appointment isn't for another month, so it will be more of the waiting game for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment