We have been on a pretty good roller coaster ride the last few weeks, but we learned so much about how our nation’s employer-based health insurance system works. (It’s top on my list, but I don’t blame you if you are just plain tired of hearing about health care reform, skip this paragraph if you need a break from it all.) We are both so lucky and grateful to have jobs with remarkably supportive employers, especially in this economy, but we see more clearly now how they are impacted by the rising cost of health care and can be penalized for employing those with chronic illnesses. Not only must employers absorb or pass on the rising cost of premiums, when coverage gets too expensive they must cut back benefits, increase employee deductibles or drop it all together. Rising premiums are exacerbated for small companies with group health insurance by the most unjust factor – experience rating. Based on the claims or cost of health services used by employees every year, premiums can rise dramatically for the whole group. It’s clear why we are so lucky, while the other half of employers with 3-9 employees offer no health insurance at all. And worst of all, when you lose your job (or have another change in life circumstance) in this system you also are burdened by losing your health insurance. Bah! Whose idea was this anyway?!
After some ups and downs shopping for potential group plans, we were presented an individual health insurance plan that works for us and keeps Garrett’s claims from affecting his employer’s experience record. While Garrett remains committed to working as much as he physically can, this also means he has a policy he can take with him if he ever has to leave his office. I am so glad that there was any health plan available to him and affordable for us. I wish every person had opportunities for continued coverage when they get disastrously sick, lose their job, want to start their own business, get a divorce or otherwise have life changes that should not preclude them from having health insurance.
Garrett and I carpooled to work this week which was a great accomplishment given his continued vision trouble and ongoing fatigue. No treatments this week, but we are looking forward to an appointment with the eye doctor tomorrow. It has been months since I’ve seen Garrett as giddy as he was today when the Huskies beat Marquette, he seriously did a celebration run through the whole house. Hope UW keeps it up on Saturday against New Mexico...
Thursday, March 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
MaryEllen...I have not been good about following the blog because we have been traveling so much but I did take some time tonight and read 4 or 5 of them. Thanks for your thought out comments and feelings about all that is going on...I did comment on Garret's blog about the need for some reform now...not sure what is best but something has to be done. I really appreciate having your updates and insights. It must be pretty tough for both of your to keep up the grueling schedule of work and appointments and then to come home and blog about them. It is a good record of exactly how you are feeling and what is happening for future reference in this bizarre ride you are taking.
ReplyDeleteKeep blogging if possible...if not I certainly can understand. I think of you two a lot and hope for all kinds of miracles and moments of joy for both of you.