Monday, February 1, 2010

Monday, monday, it just turns out that way

Marathon Monday started with hyperthermia in the morning, blood drawn at our regular doctor’s office in the afternoon and then heading to the hospital for a platelet transfusion. Garrett was feeling so good today that we figured he might have decent blood counts – the red cells and white cells were good, but the platelet count concerning. Platelets primary function is to clot blood and with extreme low counts you risk bleeding uncontrollably or developing life threatening complications. Although it is not how Garrett wanted to spend the afternoon – when he was feeling so well – we drove down the street to the hospital’s outpatient infusion floor where all our transfusions are done. It took much less time than when red blood cells are needed, only about an hour. We plan on the next dose of chemo a week from today where we will check all his blood counts again and see if another transfusion is needed. Hope this week is another of not feeling too bad, finishing hyperthermia and eating well to put back on a few pounds before another dose of chemo.

5 comments:

  1. To add a comment, I just about yelled at the poor nurse practitioner who had to break the news to me that I needed to go to the hospital for platelets. My usual oncologist is out of the country at the moment because of his sick father in China so this poor lady had to deal with me when I really didn't want to deal with her. After 20 miutes or so of arguing, I just got up and left and went in the car while MaryEllen was kind enough to get the information needed to go to the hospital.

    Then while at the hospital, I had the pleasure of running into the single most annoying human being on the face of the earth in the St. Pete's outpatient infusion room. This lady was seriously unbelievable. For a while I thought she couldn't be real, but she kept going on and on and on with nobody listening or paying attention to the cow.

    Anyway, its absolutely incredible how this was the second monday in a row where I woke up feeling great and went through a good day of hyperthermia only to have the day later ruined by other health crap. Hopefully today will be a good day. This is pretty much the first day in a long time where I have absolutely nothing to worry about medically. I get to sit home all day and watch tv until mom comes up with a garlic chicken pizza tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WhooHoo! So glad this round of chemo is going well. I love it Garrett that you are so honest about life. You say things that most of us wouldn't even dare...not me of course : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats why MaryEllen and I are the yin and the yang. She will sugar coat things, and me not so much. She also has the patience to lay out the facts and scientific info, whereas I can give the insight on how things actually feel outside of a book. I don't have the time or energy to tell people what they want to hear. Plus, its so much more fun to be blunt.

    One thing I have learned through everything that I have gone through is that there just isn't time and its not worth it to go through life without letting people know reality. I feel guilty for hurting a few feelings here and there but in the end I think people usually understand, or at least I hope so.

    Disclaimer: This only applies to people other than my parents, who still get sheltered. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree Garrett...I would so much rather hear the truth even if it is not what I had hoped to hear. MaryEllen...thank you so much for starting this blog...it is a great way to keep everyone up to date on what is happening. I know you must be tired at the end of the day and this takes extra effort on top of everything else you are dealing with. Kudos to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the support, I value integrity above all. Complete and honest information can only help us make good choices and live better lives!

    ReplyDelete